Here we are… at Day 5 of the 7-day journaling series, with the throat chakra: our centers of expression, communication, and attitude. Write on each prompt for as long as it feels comfortable, and then move on to the next one. If there are prompts that don’t feel pleasing to you, feel free to skip them; but I would recommend returning to them at a later date because it is likely that those prompts that are most unappealing are the ones that you need to interact with the most.
* Describe your style of communication. Are you direct and to the point? Or, do you tend to “beat around the bush?”
* Describe your first experience speaking in front of a crowd. Describe the sights, sounds, and smells. Describe the feelings that you have attached to that memory. Was this a positive experience? Why or why not?
* How do you express yourself best? Through writing? Clothing? Art? Describe an example.
* What are your feelings about gossip? Do you engage in it unintentionally? Have you ever been hurt by gossip? What was that like?
* When you were growing up, how did your family communicate with each other? Was their style of communication healthy? How do you think that affects the way you are today?
* Make a list of negative phrases that you tend to use often. Try reframing those phrases in positive way. For example, “I’m so sick of this!” can be reframed as, “I feel like there is a better way to do this.” Try to write at least 20 negative phrases and their re-statements.
* Describe a time you “put your foot in your mouth” (figuratively). What happened? How did you feel about it? How did it affect others? Were you able to correct it? How?
* Make a list of 100 beautiful words or phrases that you would like to use more often. Then, write a paragraph or two describing your life that uses as many of those words or phrases as possible… Try to use at least 25 of them.
* Who is your favorite person to talk with? Why?
* If you were to make changes in your life that would improve how you express that which lives in your heart (your feelings, passions, desires, ideas), what would those changes be? How easy/difficult would making those changes be? What barriers do you have that prevent you from making those changes?
I will be sharing some of my own Throat Journaling excerpts here over the next few days. Please share some of your writing too! Also, I would love to hear of any realizations or epiphanies that come as you’re writing.